Baltimore County & Towson Child Custody Lawyer | Physical Custody | Shared Physical Custody..
Baltimore County Child Custody Law Firm.
The Law Offices of Amar S. Weisman has great experience litigating and negotiating child custody matters in The Circuit Court for Baltimore County. In the majority of cases we come across, either one or both parents ask for some form of shared physical custody in the court papers they file. The problem is that often people who ask for shared physical custody do not know what they are asking for. Consider:
- There is no such thing as "joint physical custody" in the State of Maryland. If you are saying "joint physical custody" or "joint custody" then you probably mean "shared physical custody."
- Shared physical custody does not mean a week-on/week-off schedule and it does not mean each parent has the same number of overnights.
- Shared physical custody does not mean no child support. The Maryland Child Support guidelines will recommend some amount of child support unless both parents earn coincidentally earn this exact amount of money.
Under Maryland Law, What Exactly Is Shared Physical Custody?
Shared physical custody refers to a court-ordered schedule where both parents have more than 128 overnights with the child or children.It is a bright line, meaning if you have 127 overnights, then you do not have shared physical custody. The award of shared physical custody makes sense when the parents live close to one another, cooperate well with pick-ups and drop-offs, and motivated to cooperate with one another. There is a trend towards avoiding shared physical custody to the extent it is in the best interests of the minor child. These are a few of the advantages of shared physical custody:
- Children have more meaningful contact with both parents.
- Children can sometimes gain access the better school district.
- Many children want to spend more time with their fathers.
- Shared physical custody can prevent parental alienation.
- Provides more opportunities to spend time with other children in the family.
What Are the Disadvantages of Shared Physical Custody?
- Shared physical custody may require constant pick-up and drop-offs that can cause stress to not only the parents but also to some children.
- Shared physical custody can destabilize certain children including those who thrive when they have a "home base" and children who have trouble with organization.
- Shared physical custody sometimes leads to the child/children having different rules in different hours
Are You The Custodial Parent?
If you wish to determine whether you are the custodial parent, then these serve as a starting point?
- Do you help maintain routines for bedtimes and wake-up times before school?
- Do you purchase groceries and prepare most meals?
- Do you regularly provide moral, ethical, or religious guidance to the minor child at critical childhood moments?
- Do you mostly provide transportation for the child to and from recreational and athletic events?
- Do you primarily take the child to the doctor or the dentist?
- Do you facilitate visitation with the minor child's other parent, grandparents and family friends?
Call For a Free Consultation in Towson With Family Law Lawyer Amar S. Weisman.
Please Call (410) 321-4994 to schedule a Free Consultation. The purpose of the consultation is to decide whether you want to hire Amar S. Weisman. To obtain legal services, you must pay a retainer, see Policy on Fees/Costs. The law firm is next to The Circuit Court for Baltimore County, at 305 Allegheny Avenue, Towson, MD, 21204. We represent clients throughout the Baltimore area including Aberdeen. Abingdon, Bel Air, Bowleys Quarters, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Edgewood, Essex, Lutherville, Owings Mills, Parkville, Perry Hall, Rosedale, Sparrows Point, Timonium, Towson, Westminster and White Marsh.