Baltimore County & Towson Child Custody Lawyer | Legal Custody | Sole Legal Custody
Baltimore County Legal Custody Lawyer
Legal Custody refers to a parent’s ability to make long-term decisions with respect to important aspects of the child’s life, including those related to the child’s education, religion, and health care. Unless a parent displays an inability to make legal decisions related to the child (or if domestic violence issues are involved), both parents will typically share legal custody, no matter who has physical custody of the child.
When one parent has sole legal custody, they can make all educational, religious, and health care decisions without input from the other parent. The following factors would tend to lean towards an award of sole legal custody to one parent:
- Parties cannot communicate and reach decisions together because there is a history of physical, verbal, and emotional abuse.
- Parents completely unwilling to share decision making.
- One of the parents is unfit and should not be entrusted with legal custody decision-making.
- Weak relationship between one parent and the child so that parent is not in touch with the child's wants and needs.
- Child does not wish to share confidences with one parent.
- Sharing legal custody would disrupt the minor child's school life because academic and extracurricular decisions would be deadlocked.
- Geography prevents parents from easily sharing information.
- One parent too involved in work to engage important decisions about the child/children.
- One parent's desire to engage in joint decision-making is not sincere.
- One child si too financially strapped to engage in parental decision making.
Call (410) 321-4994 For a Consultation With Towson Divorce & Child Custody Family Lawyer Amar S. Weisman.
Please Call (410) 321-4994 to schedule a Free Consultation. The purpose of the consultation is to decide whether you want to hire Amar S. Weisman. To obtain legal services, you must pay a retainer, see Policy on Fees/Costs. The law firm is next to The Circuit Court for Baltimore County, at 305 Allegheny Avenue, Towson, MD, 21204. We represent clients throughout the Baltimore area including Aberdeen. Abingdon, Bel Air, Bowleys Quarters, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Edgewood, Essex, Lutherville, Owings Mills, Parkville, Perry Hall, Rosedale, Sparrows Point, Timonium, Towson, Westminster and White Marsh.