Baltimore County & Towson Child Custody Lawyer | Legal Custody | Sole Legal Custody
Baltimore County Legal Custody Lawyer
Parents with sole legal custody make long-term decisions concerning the minor child , including:
- Selection of school.
- Selection of sports and extracurricular activities.
- Selection of doctor/dentist.
- Selection of religion/church.
- Selection of attorneys for personal injuries.
- Decisions concerning discipline. .
- International travel including passport and visas.
Although the other parent may have the right to access official records and be informed of key decisions, the parent with sole legal custody is the unequivocal decision-maker. Sole legal custody is often used by the court as a last resort where only one parent is sincerely interested in the child or there has been a complete breakdown in the relationship between the parties. The following circumstances may justify the award of sole legal custody:
- Parental unfitness due to mental disability.
- Geographic distance making sharing information d all but impossible.
- Complete unwillingness by one or both parents to share decision making.
- Parental alienation.
- Physical/verbal/emotional abuse makes communication impossible.
- Child has already been damaged due to other parent's bad decisions.
- Sharing legal custody would disrupt the minor child's school life because academic and extracurricular decisions would be deadlocked.
- One parent too busy with work to engage in parental decision making.
- One parent's desire to engage in joint decision-making is not sincere.
Call To Schedule Consultation With Top Towson Custody Lawyer Amar S. Weisman
Please Call (410) 321-4994 to schedule a Free Consultation. The purpose of the consultation is to decide whether you want to hire Amar S. Weisman. To obtain legal services, you must pay a retainer, see Policy on Fees/Costs. The law firm is next to The Circuit Court for Baltimore County, at 305 Allegheny Avenue, Towson, MD, 21204. We represent clients throughout the Baltimore area including Aberdeen. Abingdon, Bel Air, Bowleys Quarters, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Edgewood, Essex, Lutherville, Owings Mills, Parkville, Perry Hall, Rosedale, Sparrows Point, Timonium, Towson, Westminster and White Marsh.