Baltimore County Family Lawyer Lawyer | Alimony | Alimony Pendente Lite.
Alimony Pendente Lite In The Circuit Court for Baltimore County
Even though your divorce may end in financial stability, the divorce process creates financial stress. You have to pay for lawyers, counselors, and moving at the same time as you lose access to your spouse’s income, bank accounts, and credit. If you are dependent on your spouse for money, then Alimony Pendente Lite ("APL") was made for you.
- Alimony Pendente Lite It is a form of temporary alimony awarded to dependent spouses to maintain the “status quo” during the divorce process. It can prevent the primary wage earner from “starving” a dependent spouse into a lousy settlement.
- The process for receiving Alimony Pendente Lite can take months, but when ultimately awarded Alimony Pendente Lite can include back payments from the time the Alimony Pendente Lite was first requested to present day.
- Unlike other kinds of alimony like indefinite alimony and rehabilitative alimony, Alimony Pendente Lite is not based on the strength of your overall case. Saints and sinners alike can get Alimony Pendente Lite under the correct circumstances.
Alimony Pendente Lite: All About Facts and Figures.
When analyzing how much Alimony Pendente Lite to award, judges consider:
- The Long-Form Financial Statement.
- Earning Patterns prior to separation.
- Spending patterns prior to separation.
- Whether the spouse earning APL can maintain the "status quo" standard of living during the divorce process.
- Whether the primary wage earner afford to pay Alimony Pendente Lite.
An Order to pay Alimony Pendente Lite is enforceable. Spouses who are ordered to pay Alimony Pendente Lite but fail to do so risk being found in contempt of court and sometimes even face incarceration.
Please Call (410) 321-4994 to schedule a Free Consultation. The purpose of the consultation is to decide whether you want to hire Amar S. Weisman. To obtain legal services, you must pay a retainer, see Policy on Fees/Costs. The law firm is next to The Circuit Court for Baltimore County, at 305 Allegheny Avenue, Towson, MD, 21204. We represent clients throughout the Baltimore area including Aberdeen. Abingdon, Bel Air, Bowleys Quarters, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Edgewood, Essex, Lutherville, Owings Mills, Parkville, Perry Hall, Rosedale, Sparrows Point, Timonium, Towson, Westminster and White Marsh.