Baltimore County & Towson Divorce Lawyer | Divorce Hearings | The Pendente Lite Hearing.
Misunderstood: Pendente Lite Hearings.
- Pendente Lite ("PL") Hearings are scheduled in select divorce Cases between the scheduling conference and the settlement conference.
- Purpose is to set up temporary arrangements while a case is pending.
- People confuse PL Hearings with the "real trial" because it is the first time they will appear in front of a judge.
- You will be sorely disappointed if you expect the court to consider the big issues of your case at this point in time. Do not expect that to happen.
- PL hearings are rare. In 2014, The Circuit Court for Baltimore County heard 698 Pendente Lite Hearings. Whether to request a Pendente Lite hearing is a question of strategy.
Limited Scope of Baltimore County Pendente Lite Hearings
PL Hearings have very clearly defined and strictly limited purposes designed to get the divorcing couple and children to the trial with as little damage as possible. Although the court does not have the power and authority to discuss who is right and who is wrong, the Court can apply band aids for the time being:
- Temporary Custody/Visitation, subject to modification at the merits trial.
- Temporary Child Support, subject to modification at the merits tria.
- Temporary Alimony
- Without considering fault;
- To maintain the status quo during the divorce process pursuant to MD Code, Family Law §11-102.
- Award attorney's fees to dependent spouses so they can pay for an attorney through the trial.
Put Towson Pendente Lite Hearings In Proper Perspective.
- Alimony Pendente Lite is temporary & subject to change.
- Temporary Child Support is subject to revision at the Merits Trial.
- The PL Hearing is less important that Merits Trial. =.
- Fault is not considered at a PL Hearing.
- PL Hearings are all about numbers-- how much to maintain the status quo between now and the trial?
Call 410-321-4994 For a Consultation With Towson Divorce & Child Custody Family Lawyer Amar S. Weisman.
Please Call (410) 321-4994 to schedule a Free Consultation. The purpose of the consultation is to decide whether you want to hire Amar S. Weisman. To obtain legal services, you must pay a retainer, see Policy on Fees/Costs. The law firm is next to The Circuit Court for Baltimore County, at 305 Allegheny Avenue, Towson, MD, 21204. We represent clients throughout the Baltimore area including Aberdeen. Abingdon, Bel Air, Bowleys Quarters, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Edgewood, Essex, Lutherville, Owings Mills, Parkville, Perry Hall, Rosedale, Sparrows Point, Timonium, Towson, Westminster and White Marsh.