Towson Child Custody Lawyer | Physical Custody | Shared Physical Custody..
Baltimore County Joint Physical Custody Lawyer.
The Law Offices of Amar S. Weisman boasts significant expertise in handling child custody matters within The Circuit Court for Baltimore County. In many cases, parents, either individually or jointly, seek some form of shared physical custody when initiating court proceedings. However, it's important to clarify certain misconceptions associated with shared physical custody:
- There is no legal category called "joint physical custody" in the State of Maryland. When you refer to "joint physical custody" or simply "joint custody," you are likely referring to what is legally termed "shared physical custody.
- Shared physical custody does not entail a strict week-on/week-off schedule, nor does it mandate that each parent has an equal number of overnights with the child or children.
- Shared physical custody does not automatically negate the possibility of child support. The Maryland Child Support guidelines typically recommend some level of child support, unless both parents coincidentally earn exactly the same income.
Understanding these nuances is crucial when navigating child custody matters in Maryland, as it ensures that expectations are aligned with the legal framework governing shared physical custody arrangements.
The New Definition of Shared Physical Custody Under Maryland Law Effective October 1, 2020
Shared physical custody refers to a court-ordered schedule where parents have more than 92 overnights with the child or children. This differs from the previous bright line, where shared physical custody was 128 overnights or higher and nothing less. The award of shared physical custody makes sense when the parents live close to one another, cooperate reasonably with pick-ups and drop-offs, and are motivated to cooperate. There is a trend towards avoiding shared physical custody to the extent it is in the minor child's best interests. These are a few of the advantages of shared physical custody:
- Children have more meaningful contact with both parents.
- Children can sometimes gain access to a better school district.
- Many children want to spend more time with their fathers.
- Shared physical custody can prevent parental alienation.
- It provides more opportunities to spend time with other children in the family.
What Are the Disadvantages of Shared Physical Custody?
- Shared physical custody may require regular pick-ups and drop-offs that can cause stress to the parents and some children.
- Shared physical custody can destabilize confident children who thrive when they have a "home base" and children who have trouble with organization.
- Shared physical custody sometimes leads to the child/children having different rules at different hours.
Are You The Custodial Parent?
These serve as a starting point if you wish to determine whether you are the custodial parent.
- Do you help maintain routines for bedtimes and wake-up times before school?
- Do you purchase groceries and prepare most meals?
- Do you regularly provide moral, ethical, or religious guidance to the minor child at critical childhood moments?
- Do you mainly provide transportation for the child to and from recreational and athletic events?
- Do you primarily take the child to the doctor or the dentist?
- Do you facilitate visitation with the minor child's other parents, grandparents, and friends?
Call (410) 321-4994 For a Free Consultation in Towson With Family Law Lawyer Amar S. Weisman.
Please Call (410) 321-4994 to schedule a free consultation. The purpose of the talk is to decide whether you want to hire Amar S. Weisman. To obtain legal services, you must pay a retainer, see Policy on Fees/Costs. The law firm is near the Circuit Court for Baltimore County immediately off the Dulaney Valley Road 695 Exit, 1018 Dulaney Valley Rd., Towson, MD 21204. The firm represents clients throughout the Baltimore area, including Aberdeen. Abingdon, Bel Air, Belcamp, Bowleys Quarters, Brooklandville, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Edgewood, Essex, Forest Hill, Glen Arm, Hydes, Jarrettsville, Joppa, Kingsville, Lutherville, Middle River, Nottingham, Owings Mills, Parkville, Phoenix, Perry Hall, Pikesville, Reisterstown, Rosedale, Sparks, Sparrows Point, Stevenson, Timonium, Towson, Westminster White Hall, and White Marsh.