Towson Divorce Lawyer [ Jurisdiction and Venue
- The Circuit Court for Baltimore County is part of the Eighth Judicial Circuit,
- Only the Circuit Court has the power to grant an absolute divorce dissolving a marriage, under the authority of Md. Code, Courts and Judicial Proceedings 1-501 et. seq. In Baltimore County, the Honorable Ruth Jakubowski is the Chief Administrative Judge and The Honorable Colleen Cavenaugh is the chief family law judge.In addition to designated Family Law Magistrates, other Associate Judges are assigned to the family law docket on a rotating basis and will decide limited and absolute divorces for part of their tenure. The Court also has distinguished retired judges serving in Settlement Court. Among the most pre eminent legal minds in Baltimore County is Judge Fader (who was also a pharmacist) and co-authored a Maryland Family Law treatise with Judge Gilbert.
The District Court for Baltimore County Plays An Ancillary Role
The District Court for Baltimore County makes temporary decisions that have far-reaching consequences about family law disputes in Domestic Violence Proceedings. However, anyone who wants a divorce must file a lawsuit in the Circuit Court.
Jurisdiction and Venue
- Jurisdiction and venue are properly established. these questions are ultimately decided by the Circuit Court.Venue refers to the appropriate forum to hear aa case-- for example: should the case be decided where mom lives in Bel Air, where dad lives in Bel Air or where everyone once lived together in Baltimore County.
The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCJEA)
- When the parties seeking child custody, who are usually the parents, live in different states, the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act must be applied including by multiple state courts at the same time. However, child support is not evaluated the same way as custody for purposes of jurisdiction and enforcement.
- If a child has relocated, there may be a dispute regarding whether the departure from the minor child's home state was a temporary absence or something more than a temporary absence.
- Courts from different counties, different states and even different countries often communicate with one another, judge to judge, and also on the record, in order to resolve disputes regarding jurisdiction.
Maryland Judicial Circuits
District 1 - Baltimore City
District 2 - Dorchester, Wicomico, Somerset and Worcester Counties
District 3 - Caroline, Talbot, Queen Anne's, Kent & Caroline Counties
District 4 - Charles, St. Mary's & Calvert Counties
District 5 - Prince George's County
District 6 - Montgomery County
District 7 - Anne Arundel County
District 8 - Baltimore County
District 9 - Harford County
District 10 - Howard & Carroll Counties
District 11 - Frederick & Washington Counties
District 12 - Allegheny and Garrett Counties
Please Call (410) 321-4994 during business hours to schedule a free consultation for the purpose of deciding whether you want to retain Amar S. Weisman. The firm does not accept pro bono clients at this time. To retain legal services and advice, you must pay a retainer, See Policy on Fees/Costs. The law firm is located in the heart of Towson near The Circuit Court For Baltimore County, Towson Town Center, Goucher College and Towson University, at 1018 Dulaney Valley Road (MD-146), Second Floor Towson, MD 21204. We represent clients throughout the Baltimore area including Aberdeen, Abingdon, Baldwin, Bel Air, Bowleys Quarters, Brooklandville, Carney, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Edgewood, Essex, Garrison, Glen Arm, Greenspring Valley, Homeland, Hunt Valley, Hydes, the Joppa Road Corridor, Kingsville, Long Green, Lutherville, Middle River, Nottingham, Owings Mills, Parkville, Pikesville, Perry Hall, Reisterstown, Riderwood, Rodgers Forge, Rosedale, Ruxton, Sparks, Sparrows Point, Stoneleigh, Timonium, Towson, West Towson, White Hall, White Marsh, and the York Road corridor. We have also represented a number of out-of-state clients. The law firm does not guarantee the results in any matter.