Baltimore County &Towson Child Custody Lawyer | Custody Hearings.
Be Prepared for Any Court Hearing in the Circuit Court for Baltimore County.
The Law Offices of Amar S. Weisman is a Family Law Firm located in Towson, Maryland committed to using every court event as an opportunity-- an opportunity to advance your Divorce/Child Custody case, deliver evidence to the court, and protect your child custody rights.
At the Scheduling Conference, the Court calendars future hearings, determines which issues are contested, establishes deadlines, sets up parenting classes & mediation, and conducts an initial screening for social services pursuant to MD Rule 2-504.1. If you retain The Law Offices of Amar S. Weisman, we will:
- Provide tax returns and pay stubs to the court in compliance with the Circuit Court for Baltimore County Order requiring parties to appear at the Scheduling Conference.
- Seek temporary visitation and/or child support. If appropriate, we will come prepared with a SASI Worksheet conforming to MD Code, Family Law §12-202.
- Strategically inform the court about which issues will and will not be contested. It is important not to have too many or too few contested issues.
- Help the client complete the Social Services screening accurately and in a manner that properly flags whatever services would actually help the case development.
- Request appropriate court services, such as a xustody evalua5uon, which is defined as,a study and analysis of the needs and development of a child who is the subject of an action or proceeding under this Chapter and of the abilities of the parties to care for the child and meet the child’s needs.”
- In The Circuit Court for Harford County the Court may hold an initial hearing with evidence to establish a temporary visitation if one parent has no access to the minor child.
Baltimore County Requires Mediation in Most Child Custody Matters.
In cases where the matter is not settled in front of the family division agistrate at the settlement conference, the Circuit Court for Baltimore County will generally require the parties to attend child custody mediation unless there is a reason not to attend mediation such as domestic violence pursuant to MD Rule §9-205. Although the mediation may take place at the time of the Settlement Conference, this is rare and will usually be set up a few weeks after the Settlement Conference (this may depend on whether the case is set for the Family Law Expedited, Family Law Normal or Family Law Complex Track). Even where mediation does not produce an agreement, it can be very useful for understanding the opposing party's positions and the arguments that will be raised in the future.
The Law Offices of Amar S. Weisman prepares clients for mediation by developing concrete positions and proposals to be used during the mediation. We find that it is best to enter mediation with a full understanding of what you want and why. This increases the chance of success. We review important terms with the client, including the main elements of legal custody and residential custody and discuss how to approach the Child Access Schedule. One of the most important things is helping the client realize how inserting certain words of phrases into a parenting plan can impact the child in real-life.
Pendente Lite Hearings in Baltimore County.
The purpose of the Pendente Lite Hearing is to set up temporary child support and temporary alimony numbers that allow the dependent spouse to maintain the status quo standard of living while the Litigation is pending. The strategy for the Pendente Lite hearing varies greatly depending on which side we represent. At a minimum, the preparation will involve preparing the client for direct examination, cross examination, developing incisive questions for the opposing party, and the identification of exhibits consistent being mindful of the Hearsay Rule and the Best Evidence Rule.
Baltimore County Settlement Court.
Before the Settlement Conference where the lawyers will speak with the retired judge (generally while the clients wait), your Towson Family Lawyer will work with you to simplify your case and emphasize the best evidence for the brief presentation to the retired judge. Your Baltimore Divorce Lawyer & Baltimore Custody Lawyer will use his Negotiation Skill Set to reach a compromise (if the client's goal is to reach a reasonable compromise).
The Circuit Court for Baltimore County Child Custody Merits Trial.
The merits trial resolves all outstanding disputes and differences that have not been resolved by and between the parties. The trial includes the presentation of:
- Opening arguments by the attorneys for each party. If here is a Best Interest Attorney, s/he may also provide an opening statement
- Fact witnesses including the parents, family members, personal friends, friends of the family, ministers, police officers, social workers. court-appointed custody evaluators, domestic violence advocates, colleagues. teachers and child counselors.
- Expert witnesses including any private child custody evaluators who make. recommendation after interviewing the parties, the children, third party collateral witnesses, school records, and medical records; these witnesses can identify relevant patterns like parental alienation syndrome.
- Best Interest Attorney questions and findings, and any final recommendations.
- Exhibits introduced by the attorneys including photographs, previous court orders, custody evaluator reports, prescription medication records, neuropsychological evaluations, academic progress reports, and report cards.
- Closing arguments by the Plaintiff's Counsel and Defendant's Counsel.
In child custody cases, the judge is afforded significant judicial discretion to make an decision based on the best interest of the minor child.
Please Call (410) 321-4994 to schedule a Free Consultation. The purpose of the consultation is to decide whether you want to hire Amar S. Weisman. To obtain legal services, you must pay a retainer, see Policy on Fees/Costs. The law firm is next to The Circuit Court For Baltimore County,at 1018 Dulaney Valley Road, Towson, MD 21204. We represent clients throughout the Baltimore area including Aberdeen. Abingdon, Bel Air, Bowleys Quarters, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Edgewood, Essex, Lutherville, Owings Mills, Parkville, Perry Hall, Rosedale, Sparrows Point, Timonium, Towson, Westminster and White Marsh.