Towson Family Lawyer Lawyer | Alimony | Alimony Pendente Lite.
Temporary Alimony/Alimony Pendente Lite
Amar S. Weisman has been recognized by Expertise.Com as one of the top 21 Divorce lawyers in Baltimore and has experience prosecuting and defending petitions for temporary alimony. Mr. Weisman understands that the law governing temporary alimony and different than other forms of alimony and controlled by statute, case law and the Baltimore County Differentiated Case Management Plan. Even though the law governing temporary alimony is very particular, all temporary alimony claims require real-life witness preparation and pleadings that frame the case, properly, before the attorneys and clients appear at the courthouse. Mr. Weisman also understands that how a client seeks, opposes or settles a temporary alimony issue can profoundly change the overall trajectory of the underlying divorce case. Mr. Weisman has experiencing representing spouses who need alimony pendente lite to survive as well as clients who need an advocate to prevent the Court from issuing a temporary alimony order that would crush him financially. Mr. Weisman is recognized by Google and Avvo for a mastery of the law that comes across in how he advocates for his clients in Maryland temporary alimony cases.
How Temporary Alimony Is Treated Differently
The law governing rehabilitative alimony and indefinite alimony is multi-dimensional to the extreme. In most alimony claims, the court will consider more than one dozen factors ranging from the age and health of the parties, the circumstances of estrangement, household economics, past earning history, future earning potential, the duration of the marriage, and much more. This multi-dimensional analysis does not dominate temporary alimony.
Temporary Alimony Looks Focuses On Stability and the Status Quo
Even though your divorce may end in financial stability, the divorce process creates financial stress. You have to pay for lawyers, counselors, and moving at the same time as you lose access to your spouse’s income, bank accounts, and credit. If you are dependent on your spouse for money, then Alimony Pendente Lite ("APL") was made for you.
- Alimony Pendente Lite It is a form of temporary alimony awarded to dependent spouses to maintain the “status quo” during the divorce process. It can prevent the primary wage earner from “starving” a dependent spouse into a lousy settlement.
- The process for receiving Alimony Pendente Lite can take months, but when ultimately awarded Alimony Pendente Lite can include back payments from the time the Alimony Pendente Lite was first requested to present day.
- Unlike other kinds of alimony like indefinite alimony and rehabilitative alimony, Alimony Pendente Lite is not based on the strength of your overall case. Saints and sinners alike can get Alimony Pendente Lite under the correct circumstances.
Alimony Pendente Lite: All About Facts and Figures.
When analyzing how much Alimony Pendente Lite to award, judges consider:
- The Long-Form Financial Statement.
- Earning Patterns prior to separation.
- Spending patterns prior to separation.
- Whether the spouse earning APL can maintain the "status quo" standard of living during the divorce process.
- Whether the primary wage earner afford to pay Alimony Pendente Lite.
An Order to pay Alimony Pendente Lite is enforceable. Spouses who are ordered to pay Alimony Pendente Lite but fail to do so risk being found in contempt of court and sometimes even face incarceration.
Please Call (410) 321-4994 to schedule a Free Consultation. The purpose of the consultation is to decide whether you want to hire Amar S. Weisman. To obtain legal services, you must pay a retainer, see Policy on Fees/Costs. The law firm is next to The Circuit Court for Baltimore County, at 1018 Dulaney Valley Road, Towson, MD 21204. We represent clients throughout the Baltimore area including Aberdeen. Abingdon, Bel Air, Bowleys Quarters, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Edgewood, Essex, Lutherville, Owings Mills, Parkville, Perry Hall, Rosedale, Sparrows Point, Timonium, Towson, Westminster and White Marsh.