Towson Divorce Lawyer | Divorce Hearings | The Pendente Lite Hearing.
Misunderstood: Pendente Lite Hearings.
- Pendente Lite Hearings are scheduled in Family Law, Divorce and Child Custody matters typically between the Scheduling conference and the Settlement Conference to make temporary arrangements to preserve the status quo while litigation is pending.
- People confuse PL Hearings with the "real trial" because it is the first time they will appear in front of a judge.
- You will be sorely disappointed if you expect the court to consider the big issues of your case at this point in time. Do not expect that to happen.
- PL hearings are rare. In 2014, The Circuit Court for Baltimore County heard 698 Pendente Lite Hearings. Whether to request a Pendente Lite hearing is a question of strategy.
Limited Scope of Baltimore County Pendente Lite Hearings
Pendente Lite (PL) hearings serve a focused and limited role in the divorce process, aimed at maintaining stability for both parties and any children involved until the merits trial. While the court lacks the jurisdiction to make final determinations on the merits of the case, it does possess the authority to implement interim measures, often referred to as "band-aids," to minimize harm during the pending litigation. These interim measures can include:
- Temporary Custody/Visitation: Subject to modification at the merits trial.
- Temporary Child Support: Also subject to future adjustment during the merits trial.
- Temporary Alimony: Awarded without consideration of marital fault.
- Maintenance of Status Quo: Pursuant to MD Code, Family Law §11-102, the court can order measures to keep the current living and financial conditions largely unchanged.
- Awarding of Attorney's Fees: The court may direct the financially dependent spouse to pay attorney's fees, enabling them to secure legal representation through the trial.
It's essential to note that all these temporary orders are subject to review and potential alteration at the merits trial.
Call 410-321-4994 For a Consultation With Towson Divorce & Child Custody Family Lawyer Amar S. Weisman.
Please Call (410) 321-4994 during business hours to schedule a free consultation for the purpose of deciding whether you want to retain Amar S. Weisman. The firm does not accept pro bono clients at this time. To retain legal services and advice, you must pay a retainer, See Policy on Fees/Costs. The law firm is located in the heart of Towson near The Circuit Court For Baltimore County, Towson Town Center, Goucher College and Towson University, at 1018 Dulaney Valley Road (MD-146), Second Floor Towson, MD 21204. We represent clients throughout the Baltimore area including Aberdeen, Abingdon, Baldwin, Bel Air, Bowleys Quarters, Brooklandville, Carney, Catonsville, Cockeysville, Edgewood, Essex, Garrison, Glen Arm, Greenspring Valley, Homeland, Hunt Valley, Hydes, the Joppa Road Corridor, Kingsville, Long Green, Lutherville, Middle River, Nottingham, Owings Mills, Parkville, Pikesville, Perry Hall, Reisterstown, Riderwood, Rodgers Forge, Rosedale, Ruxton, Sparks, Sparrows Point, Stoneleigh, Timonium, Towson, West Towson, White Hall, White Marsh, and the York Road corridor. We have also represented a number of out-of-state clients. The law firm does not guarantee the results in any matter.